Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What’s good for the Goose ain’t good for the Gander….

You know what really fires me up, when I hear “people” adamantly stating that the Government needs to provide more stimulus, i.e spend more Money to get the economy going again. In theory this sounds great right? The Government can borrow a little money, spend it (flush it through the economy) and in turn get demand going again. Giving the Gov’t a Credit Card with an unlimited credit line, is a lot like giving that spend-a-holic spouse (thank god mine’s not) a credit card and hoping to end up with a bunch of stuff you actually need. Remember that beautiful down comforter fellas or those cute throw pillows? How about that big flat screen ladies? Problem is you end up with a whole bunch of **** you don’t need and a looming liability that has to be paid back!

Here are the cold hard facts, which in my opinion are impossible to dispute: Public (Gov’t) employees on average make $71,206 a year compared to the average Private worker taking home $40,331.(USA Today) That’s exactly 1.76 times the pay of a private worker. Please tell me how this is efficient? Actually I beg you to rationalize this….

Okay, you say that I’m looking to small, that’s only at the individual level. Fine, point taken, let’s take a look at all those individuals, add ‘em up and see how it looks on a larger scale. Let’s look at the State and local Governments across our nation….after all, these state and local Governments decide to pay their employees 1.76 times the private sector, they set the salaries, so let’s see how they have performed.  Currently, they have a projected Deficit of $180 billion for fiscal year 2011 and another $120 billion Deficit for 2012! And this as after they ran a $200 billion deficit in 2009 or another words spent 30% more than their General Fund (Income) allotted for.  That 1.76 X private sector = Money well spent right?  Logic tells me there's a little fat in that extra 1.76 multiple...don't tell the DMV receptionist that, she might treat you better.

The most alarming and sickening statistic I’ve seen is the fact that since the peak of the last business cycle (2007) the Private sector has CUT 8.5 million jobs….wait for it…the Public sector (Gov’t) has CUT 200,000 jobs….uh-huh...I'm starting to choke on that goose right about now.  That’s less than 2% of the jobs lost.  Hold on...I can't breath, the goose is lodged in my throat....All those Private sector 401k matches…GONE….Private sector Profit sharing from employers…Forget about it....Longer hours, less pay….Yes Please, but wait extra MSG please!!!  Correct me if I’m wrong but last time I checked Public employees haven’t seen a halt to their retirement benefits…Please, sombody! I need CPR, help me get that goose outta my throat....cough cough….or god forbide ask the Public employee to work more than the union mandated 8 hour day….with a lunch and a mid-morning break….Oh jesus...I'm having a full fledged heart-attack over hear now...swallowed to many of those geese or is it gooses?  doesn't matter...not much time left I'm on the way to the E.R. now...Maybe I'll see the United States of America on the operating table next to me...hopefully that little machine doesn't flatline quite yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment